Genetically modified organisms can not only grow
Genetically modified organisms can not only grow, like their predecessors, but also survive where old varieties are killed due to different weather conditions. Many of them are not afraid of unexpected frosts, floods or drought. Some plants began to have such a developed root system, which allows them to retain the maximum amount of moisture. And those varieties that were previously sensitive to lower temperatures became more resistant to them, and this, in turn, affected the fact that plants are now entering the spring period of active growth. New fast-growing varieties of grain crops were also created.
Genetic changes are carried out in order to give the plant useful properties:
• resistance to pests, frost resistance, yield, etc .;
• the population of the Earth increases every year, genetically modified products are designed to save the world’s growing population from hunger;
• genetically modified products that are able to protect themselves from insects and weeds, which have high yields, also reduce the cost of production ;
• resistance to the action of various pests allows the use of fewer pesticides than traditional technologies;
• There appeared such vegetables and fruits that are able to resist viruses, bacteria, fungi;
• Scientists are working on breeding tomato and potato varieties containing vaccines and medicinesfor the countries of the third world, where they will be grown and will not need special methods of storage;
• Some tree species are bred specifically for the destruction of pollution.
According to the estimates of consumer organizations, 52 product names containing more than 5 percent of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), but not labeled, are now on the Russian market. In total, more than 120 names (brands) of genetically modified products are registered in Russia, according to the data of voluntary registration and a special register of products imported from abroad.
Of genetically modified products, soybean is the most widely spread in Russia. It is often added to sausage, sausages, sour cream, milk, other dairy products, sweets, confectionery, infant formulas and even bread. Any soy contains phytoestrogen (a female sex hormone of plant origin), which negatively affects the reproductive function and the human brain. Even an ordinary soy adult person is not recommended to eat more than 30 grams a day, and children and it is not recommended at all.
Of other genetically modified products, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, carrots and eggplants are also on the market. As a rule, they are distinguished by an ideal presentation, the ability to store for a long time and a strange taste; for example, hm-strawberry is not as sweet as natural. GM-potatoes, on the other hand, can not be stored for a long time and after 3 to 4 months of storage rot. Therefore, it is used in the production of chips and starch, which is added to many products.
There are also such genetically modified foods as zucchini and squash. There is an ug-sugar beet and sugar made from it. There are also imported gm-onions (onion, shallots, leeks) and imported gm-rice.
Many varieties of dried fruits, including raisins and dates, can be covered with soybean oil. Give preference to dried fruits, which do not contain the presence of vegetable oil.
Honey may contain gm-oil rape. If the label says “imported honey” or “production of several countries”, then it is better not to buy honey.